How much impact has racial inequality had on your life? Would you like to help change things? We’re talking about race today, and we’re very excited to have Will Matthews as our guest. Will is with us today because he is willing to talk about issues of race and answer some difficult questions. In today’s episode, he discusses the unique thing that he is doing on Facebook Live right now, where he is having public conversations with people whose opinions differ a lot from his. And he explains what we all can do, to raise awareness about racism, and overcome racial problems. Coming to terms with racial inequality is a lifelong process, and educating yourself is part of it. Stay tuned to find out more!
Will is an ex-pro football player from the Detroit Lions, who also used to play for the University of Texas Longhorns. He lives in Austen, Texas, with his wife and two young sons. Will is a beautifully authentic person, and he’s also funny and kind. Currently, he’s into commercial real estate finance, he is an equity advocate, and he also does some impact investing. We know you’re going to love our conversation, so be sure to listen in, to hear his unique and eye-opening story.
- Will and Cristie were both asked to be on a panel to discuss mental health during the quarantine.
- Will is very humble about figuring out how to live in a world where he is no longer a professional football player.
- What prompted him to open himself to all kinds of questions on social media.
- Discovering the importance of education around historic and social issues.
- The impact that the murder of George Floyd had on Will’s life.
- Confronting racial issues is a painful process.
- Many different conversations are happening about race right now and but unfortunately, there’s no singular vernacular that pulls everybody together.
- Looking at keywords, like white supremacy, white privilege, racist, Black Lives Matter, and Black America.
- Why Will tries to listen to everybody’s point of view, even if it’s wrong.
- The most difficult and eye-opening thing for Will.
- The kind of support Will gets from his wife.
- People are ready for something new.
- Why Will is having public conversations with people whose opinions differ from his.
- You might not even know that you’re playing a part in someone’s salvation.
- Understanding someone’s story helps to form new relationships.
- Follow Black Lives Matter, and find out what people are doing and what they are dealing with.
- How to make a difference, and find ways to live together better.
Links and resources:
Michelle Alexander: The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness